Sunday, June 29, 2008

Australia

Sheep are everywhere out in the country in Australia and Kangaroo Island. They say there are more sheep than people. I know for sure that is true for Kangaroo Island.

Most of these photos are from Kangaroo Island. There are many animal crossing road signs on the island. This is a geese crossing. They are very rare geese called Cape Barren Geese. They were introduced to Kangaroo Island because they were almost extinct. They are doing very well on the Island.

Bailey and Aubree with kangaroo.

My Mum has been telling us stories she remembers as we go about our travels. She remembers a story her Mum told her about when she first married and moved to Queensland. Their bathtub was under the house (old Queensland houses are up on posts) and frogs would jump up and sit on the fence all around the tub when she was bathing. Grandma had a saying about such moments, she would say, "it struck me comical". I like that saying.
We are having a great time back in Brizzie staying with cousins Geoff and Annie. We have introduced them to Mexican Train Dominos and have been having games every night. Much fun and many laughs. We often laugh at each other's phrases. When someone plays on a spot you were planning to play on they will say, "you snaffled it" meaning you sneakily stole my play (or anything else). I don't know if this phrase is strictly Australian, but I like it, " you have thrown a cat among the pigeons."
My friend Lee in Phoenix is very ill in ICU at St. Joseph's hospital. Please pray for Lee, his family and his doctors.

No comments: