Thursday, June 4, 2009

For the love of Trains!

Dilly loves trains and anything else that has wheels. He especially loves Thomas the Train which he actually got to ride on later when they were in Utah. We rode a number of trains while they were in Phoenix. Dylan's eyes would get big and his mouth would open like an "O" in excitement and adoration. We rode the light rail in Phoenix to go downtown and see the sights. Actually the guys, including our friend Chris, were going to go to the NRA convention and see the exhibits but there was a 2 hour wait just to get in. They ended up joining Kirs, Rowan and I for lunch instead. The light rail has always been crowded every time we ride it, but I'm not sure how many are paying customers because no one ever asks to see your tickets. They are going to raise the rates in July and are thinking of selling the naming rights!
I set up the train at home when everyone else was at the store. We really had a fun, exciting time. Rowan was the engineer and Dilly the tunnel (he stood over the track) and conductor. At first Rowan would speed up so fast or reverse directions without stopping that the train went off the tracks about 40 or more times. All in all she was a great engineer. I had steel wool in the box for cleaning the tracks (the kids asked me what it was for and I told them). At one point when I was talking on the phone, I looked over and there was Dilly rubbing the steel wool on the tracks and sparks were flying 6 or 8 inches in the air! I dropped the phone and ran over and turned off the electricity to the tracks. We had our own little train fireworks compliment of Dilly.
We also rode the train at Encanto Park Kiddie Land. After riding this train Rowan and Dylan pose in front of the engine. Being at Encanto Park reminded me of fond memories. Encanto Park with its lagoons used to be the only place with water (except the canals) in Phoenix. We went there a lot when we were kids so Mum could sit by the lagoon because she was homesick for water, any water. Encanto park is very large and is a great place to explore as a kid. There are many bridges going over the lagoon, you can rent a boat or just explore the park. My favorite place in the park (other than Kiddie Land) was a large area where there were tall reeds. There were tunnels and paths through the reeds like a maze. It was really fun like finding your way in a jungle and trying to find the way out. We played chase games, pirate games and I had my favorite route. I know that area is no longer there, I suppose for safety reasons, but we really had great times in that maze! Kiddie Land has been revamped, but much is the same as when I was a kid and our kids were kids. We've had many a birthday party there over the years. The carousel is exactly the same, the train has a new engine, but most of the track and train is the same, the roller coster has the same track, but has been changed into a dragoon roller cooster instead of the plain one we had.
This is Kirs, Rob and the kids riding in the train at the Scottsdale train park.
This is the train at the Scottsdale train park.

No comments: