Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chihuly and desert flowers in red

When I put this picture up on Facebook, Peter Perry, who is now pastor for 2 churches in Alaska made a comment about how this would be a great picture to put on the altar on Pentecost. It got me thinking how the desert plants and flowers remind me of Chihuly sculptures. I've put up pictures comparing desert plants to Chihuly's red sculptures which look so much like the fire of the Holy Spirit which touched people in the early days of the Christian Church. In the Old Testament fire was also connected with God's presence (the burning bush for example). Thanks to Peter for turning the everyday into a sermon!

This is an Indian Paintbrush, also called Prairie Fire! I love when I find this growing in the wild. I have a spot around our Flagstaff townhouse where I find it every spring and summer. I have tried harvesting some seeds from there early Fall and have sprinkled them in front of our porch, but haven't gotten them to grow yet.


I like the way these red sculptures are nestled among the old men of the desert, the Saguaro.




I love these flowers. They are some kind a penstemon. Possibly a Cardinal Flower. The hummingbirds love them also. I actually took this picture at Red Mountain north of Flagstaff.




This is an Aloe vera plant which gets lovely red blooms, loved by hummingbirds also. The aloe is a succulant. If you pick a leaf and break it open, the flesh is moist and slippery. It has great healing properties for minor burns.
This is a desert Globe Mallow plant get beautiful dark orange/red flowers
These remind me of a orange cuctus as the cactus below.

No comments: