Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sydney Stories

This is the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney. This is probably where we came in when we arrived in Australia by ship when I was 10. I very clearly remember leaving at the end of our trip. My Mum was very sad and crying because she was leaving Australia. I started crying also. She told me I didn't have to cry because I wasn't leaving my home and parents. I still cried. Sounds like me, huh. I think somebody had sent us a Bon Voyage basket with food to our cabin. I also remember that whenever we left a port there were streamers. Everybody on shore and on the ship bought these narrow different coloured paper streamers. You would hold the end and throw the paper roll to shore (or to ship). Someone would catch it. Those on shore and on ship would hold onto their end of the streamers till the ship left shore making the streamers break. There were hundreds or thousands of these colourful streamers connecting the ship to the shore. It was very beautiful and very exciting.
I will tell you another Sydney ship story as told to me by my Mum. When she was 11 her family moved back to Brisbane from Ballarrat. Mum and Grandma were going from Melbourne on ship to Brisbane and Uncle Laurie and Grandpa were going across country with a touring car. There was a ship strike and so the ship took them only to Sydney not on to Brisbane as planned. Somehow Grandpa heard about the strike as they were traveling by car and picked up Mum and her Mum in Sydney. They had to squeeze the whole family into the car with all their suitcases, etc, but managed to make it to Brisbane.

These are school children on a field trip to the Rocks (the oldest section of Sydney) sitting under a fig tree. These are amazing trees with exposed roots.
This is the view from out apartment in Sydney. When I was 10 we stayed for 2 days right across the harbour at with our Aunt.

No comments: