Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Cooper's Hawk

I was walking in the alley behind our house going to visit Erica who lives one house down across the alley from me. I spied this amazing creature, hunting. I think he is a juvenile Cooper's Hawk. Does anybody know for sure? How about that face, looks very serious about his quest. I have seen hawks overhead and further away in trees before, but this was very exciting seeing him or her so close up.

We also have quail who use our alleys for their territory. sometimes I see a whole family of quail with their feather hats running down the alley, diving through our wooden fence or crossing the street. We also have coyotes. Julian sees them all the time when he walks at 330 or 4am. Yesterday they were chasing a cat (CC's free look-alike) and the cat held it's own! We live in an old orange orchard, but we are close to the canal and desert areas so we see a lot of wildlife.











No comments: