Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Eclipse turns the moon red, What a heavenly show!

This was taken when the eclipse was almost complete (300mm lens, ISO 400, F5.6, Exp 3 sec).   You could also see the star Spica (upper left) and Mars (lower R)


I took these from my back yard with my Nikon D7000 camera.  This is in the very early stages using 300mm lens, ISO 400, F-11, 1/60 sec

 Gary came over and brought his telescope which gave us a close up and personal view
I used a longer exposure here (F 5.6, exp 1.3 to 3 sec) and the picture above revealing details of the shadowed part of the moon

What an amazing sight when the Sun, Earth and Moon line up


This was so amazing and I'm glad I stayed up for it.  It made it more exciting that Gary came over, so we could share this celestial sight together.  We didn't really plan it in advance.  We were talking on the phone as we do each night.  I said, I'm going to stay up and watch the eclipse.  He said, OK, I'll come over and bring my telescope.  I knew he was interested in Astronomy, but didn't know he had a telescope. 
There will be 3 more Lunar eclipses in the next year and a half!

 I really had no idea what I was doing or what setting I should use.  I read somewhere to use ISO 400 which I wouldn't that thought to do myself, but it worked.  I kept that setting throughout and experimented with F stop and exposure time.  The longest exposure I used was 3 sec, but I must learn more about my camera because I couldn't figure out how to get a longer exposure than 3 sec.  I think the next lunar eclipse will be in October. 







No comments: